Friday, November 23, 2018

Althea Petal Velvet Sunaway

20% off a Php 480 sunscreen? I'm sold! So I bought the Petal Velvet Sunaway without thorough research.


I didn't look when I leaped, and this is where it got me.


First of all, at ~Php 400 for 55 ml, you are (like the Biore Watery Essence) getting a decent amount in comparison to an expensive sunblock, but this is nothing to the bargain of the Biore Watery Gel (2016, RIP). I consider this a fair price since it is under Php 500 normally.

You get a very millenial chic pink and white smoothened bottle that reminds me of Drunk Elephant's outside packaging, flattened. Without a doubt, this has and will continue to be insta worthy.

This product contains an SPF of 50 and PA ++++. This is my desired UVA and UVB protection, check.

To use, shake the bottle well and dispense the desired amount on fingers and apply to the face. This bottle contains the ever so helpful metal ball so you know you should do some serious shaking. You get a runny, opaque white liquid that smells like citrus and rose. This scent lasts for hours, so rose lovers will like this but those with sensitive skin or those who do not like roses may not do well with this.

After applying, the liquid dries down very quickly into a semi-matte finish that lasts the day in an air conditioned environment. However, contrary to popular opinion, this DOES leave a white cast (unless you are as pale as the moon), albeit a slight one. As a "physical" sunblock with zinc and titanium oxide as the 3rd  and 5th ingredient respectively, this is to be expected. Anyone who does not have trouble with this is probably spreading the product around too thinly. Thus, this is a sunscreen that has to stay on the vanity as you need a mirror to apply and blend properly, despite the easy to tote packaging.

I find i have to blend each area separately as it dries down too quickly if I try to coat my face all at once. However, if I do this properly, the cast becomes barely, barely noticeable. However, at this point, I already wonder how much UV protection I'm actually getting.


2 sunscreens, freshly applied, than after blending. Can you guess which one is Althea's?




I can literally see the band where that sunblock is, but I can see how those with lighter skin types may not see an issue.

I have not witnessed the alleged hydrating properties of this product as I layer my skincare beforehand. But a quick scratch test shows that it is a bit better than nothing. It does, I repeat, have a matte velvet finish which will not sink in.

In summary, this is a decently priced, SPF 50, PA ++++ rose and citrus scented organic sunblock that dries down quickly into a semi-matte finish and leaves a white cast.

Yays
SPF 50, PA ++++
Decently Priced (Php 480 for 55 ml)
Semi-matte Finish

Nays
White Cast

Okays
Rose and citrus scent

I bought this without checking the active ingredients (since I purchased via mobile) since previous reaviews stated that it does not leave a cast. I will not repurchase and go back to a chemical sunscreen instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment