Monday, February 24, 2020

Revlon Colorstay Makeup for Combination/Oily Skin

Writing about this foundation right as I'm tossing it in the trash.



I bought this foundation long before the rise of L'Oreal's Infallible. Which means this foundation is already over 2 years old. I wouldn't mind normally, but I've started to break out with this so...

Time to bin and buy!

I haven't felt comfortable reviewing it since I use so little foundation. As you may be able to see, I've barely used a fifth of it in the two years I've had it with me. But now that its lifespan is over, I think I can safely say my thoughts about Revlon's Colorstay, a foundation for Combination/Oily Skin.




First of all, the part that really drew me to this was its easy blending and flawless finish. I'm not fond of make-up. But when I wear it, I want it to be bring out the best in me. And this makes my skin look perfect, not too shiny nor too matte (though it does start out matte), concealer not included..for the first 4-6 hours of wear. This was my fault since I bought it thinking I wouldn't be using it for long periods. But I started using it for longer periods of time and I've noticed that it does tend to break down around the oiler parts of the face if I don't set it properly after the requisite 4-6 hours.

Still, I loved that it has a medium to full, build-able coverage. I can leave it at 1 pump to leave my skin still looking like skin (in the best way) or go full glam with 2. I also use it as concealer by building it around my eye area with no problems. I'm the type of person that wants to make the most out of my money, and to me this was foundation-concealer before it became a thing.

Sadly, aside from breaking up pretty quickly (the standard seems to have risen to a full 8-12-16 hour wear time now that we've reached the next decade), Colorstay has one other fatal flaw: Its SPF 15 makes it terrible for flash photography! How many times have I forgotten to not wear this during events. Ugh. Looks great during the events themselves but photos are terrible after when at night. Past me thought SPF in makeup was a good idea. Present me just doubles down on actual sunscreen.

In retrospect, I actually think this foundation was very good for its time. It was affordable (at around Php 800, i think but bought on sale for around Php 400-600? I'm not quite sure, but you can buy it online for around Php 500 now) and did its job as foundation/concealer on a budget. It especially filled the niche for people who wanted additional SPF protection from their make-up.

But now, we have so many options that I'm pretty sure I won't be going back to this. Goodbye Colorstay. Thank you, but next.

No comments:

Post a Comment