Thursday, March 4, 2021

Thank You Maquillage Dramatic Styling Eyes

 I never really used to wear eye shadow, but with the pandemic, eye make-up rapidly became one of the things I've been using to express myself and feel better. For the entirety of 2020, I depended on one palette to see me through, and that was Maquillage's Dramatic Styling Eyes in OR 321.



Now I'm not sure if you can buy the exact product right now off Ebay, but I've looked at the website and boy, do I want to buy their other eye shadow palettes.

For a bit of a background, Maquillage is a mid-range make-up brand under Shiseido. Their Dramatic Styling Eyes are the palettes with the most individual pans (5 pans) with Dramatic Styling Eyes D, Dramatic Styling Eyes S and Eye Color N with fewest pans (2 pan). However, some of those pans are split so you may be getting more than one shade in a pan, they also aren't evenly sized. For the Dramatic Styling Eyes Palette, each pan has only one shade, and has a logical size division based on how each ought to be used, though there is a total of 4g per palette.

Maquillage Dramatic Eyes Palette in OR 321


Each palette comes with two dual-ended applicators consisting of one brush head and three sponge heads of varying shape. If you go to the website, there are tutorials on how to apply the palette using these tools, though of course you are free to use your own. The palette itself comes with a mini-tutorial sans brush use. I've had a lot of success in using just these for my eye looks, though I do prefer using a mix of brushes and fingers to apply. As a beginner in make-up, I'm very thankful for the color story and tools given since it makes it so easy to create a look, even on the go.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take a picture of this with the design intact since I never thought I'd talk about palettes as a staple in my life. Anyway, I've swatched the five colors in the OR 321 palette and from left to right, you have the base, and point/highlight color which are at the top of the palette, and the three gradiation colors at the bottom.

Maquillage Dramatic Eyes Palette in OR 321 swatches


As you can see, the top is on the cool side but the bottom is on the warm. That said, the most problematic shade for me is the first as aside from being chalky, though very smooth, the shade is way too light for me as a base color so I tend to ignore it and use a different base. It is also the only matte in the palette. However, I do find that the other shadows apply better with this as a smooth base so I think this will still be a useable shade for fairer skin tones. The next color is a bluish shimmer with silver glitter and can I still use this as an inner corner highlight, though with a light hand. It is the chunkiest of the shades, with palpable glitter, though still applies smoothly.

The three "gradiation colors" are all shimmers that I love. The first of the bottom row is a a peach-pink with silver glimmer that works well as both shadow and highlight. The next is a warm orange with both silver and gold glimmers that works well both with other shades and on its own. I haven't tried it because the pan is tiny, but this may be useable as a warm blush shade. The last is a dark brown with gold glimmer. 

All three are smooth, sparkly and buildable. I think Japanese brands really do their shimmers well, and it shows in this palette. My personal favorite is the middle, peach shade and it makes me so happy every time I use it.

Each palette costs around 3,000 Yen without tax in Japan, and Php 1,670 based on Lazada overseas prices. However, this was a present to me so I'm not sure how much this costs in store. If you're a beginner, or want a gateway make-up item, I'd recommend this for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment