Friday, May 20, 2016

Altcheck Glycolic Renewal Pad

Finally got around to posting about Altcheck's Glycolic Renewal Pads.

Why did I buy? A long while back, I had finished my latest retinol serum and couldn't seem to find one that I wanted to try (within my price range). Lacking the desire to go back to my basic retinol cream, I decided to give more glycolic acid a go as I was also considering Pixi Glow Tonic's popularity. I chose these because they were easiest to access at time of purchase and because I'd already tried the brand's cleanser and was satisfied with it.

Altcheck Glycolic Renewal Pads Box
Altcheck claims to be for preventive and corrective purposes as part of anti-aging skincare. Does it really?

Part of the reason I got pads instead of a lotion was so I could lug it around with ease and monitor the amount I'd use. Unfortunately, circumstances changed so I didn't require it's constant movement... but I noticed that if I didn't seal it tightly (I accidentally had a part of a pad sticking out of the aluminum cover), I ended up oxidizing the top - so watch out for that. It did succeed in the latter as I was able to make myself use it at least twice per week.

This tub contained 36 pads for P995, or around P 28 per pad, which while much less than a sheet mask, is still quite expensive. However, I used a few and noticed that the pads really were super saturated and that a pad could easily cover my face, neck and extremities. I cut them up in two and found that each half could adequately cover my face, neck and a few rough spots on my body. This doubled its use now to 72 pads for P995 or around P14 per pad, quite a lot better. I haven't tried quartering it, but for those who want to save more, I'm a bit confident that it'd be enough for the face, at the least. Each pad is huge and while it doesn't drip, it does seem to have a lot of product on.

Altcheck Glycolic Renewal Pads Tub
Jake say's it's around this big.
 Part of the reason I got pads instead of a lotion was so I could lug it around with ease and monitor the amount I'd use. Unfortunately, circumstances changed so I didn't require it's constant movement... but I noticed that if I didn't seal it tightly (I accidentally had a part of a pad sticking out of the aluminum cover), I ended up oxidizing the top - so watch out for that. It did succeed in the latter as I was able to make myself use it at least twice per week.

This tub contained 36 pads for P995, or around P 28 per pad, which while much less than a sheet mask, is still quite expensive. However, I used a few and noticed that the pads really were super saturated and that a pad could easily cover my face, neck and extremities. I cut them up in two and found that each half could adequately cover my face, neck and a few rough spots on my body. This doubled its use now to 72 pads for P995 or around P14 per pad, quite a lot better. I haven't tried quartering it, but for those who want to save more, I'm a bit confident that it'd be enough for the face, at the least. Each pad is huge and while it doesn't drip, it does seem to have a lot of product on.

Altcheck Glycolic Renewal Pad (half)

The pads itself are unscented but have a sharp, alcohol-y smell.  This product does not contain parabens or fragrances. The first three ingredients are water, alcohol and glycolic acid respectively. So you know what you're getting. The fourth is sodium hydroxide, which could be problematic in determining how effective the acid will be. Other ingredients include: witch hazel extract, salicyclic acid, lactic acid, camellia leaf extract, aloe leaf juice, sodium pca and other extracts I'd rather not mention along with the other preservatives.

To use, on a clean, dry face, use a pad (or part thereof) and lightly wipe on face. Go over each area gently, wiping for around 30-45 seconds per area, focusing on problem areas and avoiding the under eye. For me, my forehead is still my most problematic area, followed by nose and chin (T-zone), so put it on there first before the other sites. Don't push too hard because the pads aren't really soft and you may end up doing more harm than good. You can see by the pad's texture that there's an element of physical exfoliation going on. The pads actually quite durable and require scissors for cutting: You will not in trying with your bare hands.

I've found that it's best to use this product every other night at most, as if I use it more than that, the second application ends up stinging my face. Those with more sensitive skin might find this a bit much.

Does it work? The pads are supposed to be a refining micro-peel, made to peel the skin invisibly - and that it does. I've found that my skin looks better (whether I've rested or not) after using this than without. I don't see any visible flakes but it seems to be helpful in stopping those zits before they appear. It definitely works for short term gain for helping you look fab the day after. Sadly, it doesn't seem to do much for my hopeless nose.

Will I buy again? Unfortunately, my real goal is a retinol. This doesn't seem to give any long term benefit (as it isn't really meant to). I may consider buying again if I don't find a good retinol (as I am not flush enough to have both), but I'm quite content with just finishing up this tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment