Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lazy Sunday Morning at CBTLs

No, the title wasn't a spelling mistake. I've been a bad girl and went to 2 different outlets and ended up trying all 3 drinks.... I think you're supposed to get a maximum of two only (one hot and one cold)...

Anyway, CBTL's (Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf) Open House opened at 10 am and offered 3 new drinks, Caramel Cream Tea Latte, Caramel Ice Blended Drink and Caramel Macchiato. I was there at X branch  by around 10:20. Going to this branch was a BIG mistake for me since there were a lot of people who knew about the event. I felt bad for the baristas, who were very nice, since they were stressed by people who ordered (one customer ordered 17 drinks!- most of the customers came from an event occuring nearby). I also felt apprehensive because this turnout might lead to this branch being one of the exempted branches from participating in the next Open  Houses (which would be very disappointing since it is one of my favorite CBTL branches to date).



Caramel Cream Tea Latte 


I ended up reading a meg magazine while waiting for this drink (it took a while since there were so many people). I didn't like all the noise going on (everyone kept talking) and went out as soon as I finished my drink. Anyway, the Caramel Cream Tea Latte wasn't very caramel-y to me, which I did like (It wasn't too sweet). This was my favorite of the trio; I imagine this easily pairing with their cakes (I love CBTL cakes!). I don't know if it's just me though, but this drink seems best drunk during a rainy day (instead of the sunny one today).









On another note, I saw this traffic enforcer entering with a few others. I think they left this guy (plus this other guy in yellow who was probably related) to pick up their orders. While I understand that they are people themselves susceptible to hunger with probably low salaries, and I myself am not being a perfectly good girl, I do wonder if it is okay for them to do something like this. What do you think?  I wonder if these people were on duty. Is it okay that they do this while being "on the clock," so to speak?


Anyway, I left soon after due to the noise. Coffee shops are not meant to be like this. I went to a mallto buy the latest issue of Cosmopolitan, and found myself stopping by branch Branch Y instead to see if there was a crowd. I couldn't help myself and went in and got this:


 Caramel Macchiato

I ended up staying here for a good 15 minutes sipping this drink. The Caramel Macchiato drink was very sweet, but the coffee was strong in this one, so I found it a good combination. I wouldn't normally drink a macchiato without some chocolate to offset the expresso shot. However, I wouldn't recommend eating something similar with this one as it's already sweet enough as it is. I found myself craving a hot (non-sugary) pastry but stopped myself as I was already drinking enough calories as it is.


The baristas here were also very nice, and even suggested that I try the Ice Blended drink. I couldn't say no (willpower, where are you?) :(


I ended up popping out to buy the June 2012 Cosmopolitan (Philippines) issue that I originally wanted then returning. Maybe you can guess the branches now?


Caramel Ice Blended Drink


I found the Caramel Ice Blended Drink way too sweet to finish by myself and giving most of it to my brother. To be honest, I'm not quite fond of CBTL's Ice Blended Drinks, except for the Honeydew (which I love).


I took a picture on this page because it caught my interest that QR code scanning in merchandising seems to be becoming popular in the Philippines. I find this an interesting effect of technology, specifically smartphone use, affecting consumerism.


In Japan, it is apparently a common enough practice to use QR codes in order to avail of discounts when purchasing items. I specifically found first this out when I bought something at a Uniqlo in Japan (soon to open in the Philippines at MOA on June 15). Since I didn't have a working phone, I wasn't able to avail of the discount :(


I wonder how common this is under countries, and if it's going to become more common in the Philippines. While I didn't object to it in Japan since everyone has a phone capable of anything, I don't think it should be the norm in the Philippines since not everybody can afford a smartphone.


But back to CBTL's new drinks!


Buy Again?

Caramel Cream Tea Latte - yes, rainy season is coming up and I'd take this as a good pick-me-up, especially if I can splurge on a cake to go along.

Caramel Ice Blended Drink - no, I'd rather get a Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino than this.

Caramel Macchiato - maybe, when I require something strong and sweet.




Note: The word again was edited once I realized that it wasn't applicable in this situation :) Also renamed the title

No comments:

Post a Comment