Sunday, August 2, 2015

Superhero Ennui

I'm getting tired of all the superhero movies going around. At first, like most of the world, I was enchanted with Nolan's Batman. Other movies followed, with varying degrees of success. I even supported some of the reboots: I preferred the X-Men 2011 reboot to its predecessor.

But now reboots are being rebooted, TV series linking to movie counterpart, and lesser known characters placed in the spotlight.

The new Fantastic Four? Count me out. Deadpool. Ditto.

And it's not even due to the characters themselves, but I'm oversaturated. I've missed some movies and am definitely passing on the TV series. The next superhero movie I plan on watching will be Batman vs. Superman, and it will be due to the attractive powers of Henry Cavill and Jeremy Irons… and curiosity as to a Jesse Eisenberg Lex Luthor.

Sorry Amy Adams, I never liked Lois. Sorry Laurence Fishbourne, your role in Hannibal hurt my feelings.

Now, the studios are definitely making a lot of money, and a lot of people are definitely interested in them. There's no way this will end anytime soon: the line-up is already planned until 2020. Personally, I'd like the continuing success of these movies because some of them are great movies. However, I'd like to see more of them be more than "I need to watch this to understand the next one that's coming out." I'll probably see half of the current line up long after they're gone from the cinemas.

But why complain about this? There are so many genres I don't pay attention to, and a lot of movies that I don't watch. I care about this because I used to wait with baited breath for the next superhero movie to come out. The good ones made me ecstatic, the bad… well how did the 2011 Green Lantern make you feel? Now, its difficult to muster interest in the genre itself. And I'm disappointed in this disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment