Thursday, April 12, 2018

DIY Lip Scrub

Ya know, there was a time in my life where I really wanted those bullet type exfoliating lip scrubs (around the time matte liquid lips became en vogue) but they seemed so expensive just for the price of convenience of having it in stick form. And I wasn't a big fan of matte lips anyway so I shelved that thought. But as liquid lips became the norm, I found my lips getting chappier (there was a shortish period where I stopped balming it up because I am very very lazy) until I decided to get a lip scrub. And got sticker shock again. I mean, P200-400 for an edible lip scrub? NO WAY!

I can make my own without spending any extra money, thank you. Here's how:





You will need:

1. Small Container - you will be making this in small batches as this is preservative free and needs to be used up asap. I used an old eye cream container from Sulwhasoo but any small, sealable one will do. Contact lens cases are a good bet.
2. Sugar - usually found in kitchens everywhere. But I don't cook so I usually use a brown sugar packet from a coffee shop. Fyi, jollibee usually gives 2 packets of sugar and 2 packets of cream per coffee.
3. Oil - I have coconut oil because you should always have coconut oil available for beauty reasons. But barring that, edible ones are preferred since there is a big chance you will actually taste this. I did one with honey before but I do not stock honey currently.
4. Essential oil - extra for scent/antibacterial purposes. I use peppermint because why not?

I usually dump half of the sugar packet in the jar then add 3 drops of essential oil then repeating with the other half. Add coconut oil slowly since the sugar will absorb the oil until the top layer glistens. You can swirl it a bit with a small spatula or finger or use as is.

To use: dig a bit with your finger and scrub on lips for a minute before rinsing off. Top of with lip balm then color of your choice.

Since this is a DIY, it is a bit messy depending on  your container and sugar type. No regrets though since this hits the sweet spot, both on my tongue and wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment