Sunday, January 18, 2015

Beauty and the Beast, Manila

I love Disney musicals - bar one - and Beauty and the Beast is one of the earliest ones I came into contact with. I was, therefore, quite excited to watch it here in Manila. Luckily, the show I got wasn't cancelled by the Papal visit, so I was successful in watching it this weekend. Yay!

This may have been due to the Papal visit, but the performance I went to started significantly late - around 20 minutes. Now this may not be a big deal in some venues, but for a CCP production, I was a bit disappointed. Since Beauty and the Beast is a relatively short production, and I was able to eat beforehand, it's not too bad, but it definitely set my mood down.

Now, for those who do plan to watch - I won't spoil it for you. I definitely enjoyed watching it. It's sufficiently different and equally diverting for those familiar with only the film. The Beast is better characterized in the musical - although I do have issues with how Prince Adam's whiny self translated to hypernasality while singing. The more adult themes are also more obvious. However, I was definitely disappointed at the library set (my favorite moment) and the backdrop for "Be Our Guest," (the crowd pleaser), and other little things at the first and last scenes. I also found the orchestra too small for the musical, which was obvious at the overture. It's definitely much simpler than its Broadway counterpart, which is understandable, but not enough for me to justify its price at price Zones 1 and 2 (on Ticketworld).

On the whole, I wouldn't say that I'd recommend it but it's not bad at all. I felt more joy with the audio recordings (some parts were shorter, and they did cut Maison des Lunes), but I enjoyed watching it nonetheless. If you're looking for some Disney entertainment for the family and for yourself (and you can afford it), then you might want this.

Beauty and the Beast at CCP will be performing until Feb 1, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment