Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Reading: Bridget Jones

I don't know what is it about Bridget Jones - maybe it's because she's such a mess? maybe because of Mr. Darcy? maybe because of the utter british-ness of it - but I love her diaries. Bridget Jones's Diary and its sequel Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason are must reads in chic lit.

For those who don't know, Bridget Jones is a more modern version of Pride and Prejudice, with a heroine you can relate to more than old-world Elizabeth Bennet. If you've watched the movies (with Colin Firth - THE Mr. Darcy), then you'd know how much more likeable Bridget is - and how much of a disaster.

It's hard to believe but I've found that she's a bigger, more interesting character in the books than in the movies, as are the others. Unlike the movie sequel, the book version is as interesting as its predecessor. If that's not enough, the second book mentions Colin Firth and his wet shirt!

I think Helen Fielding has successfully created one of the best contemporary pieces of chic lit I've ever read (I'd put P&P as one of the best classic one ;) ). I'd recommend this book for anyone with ovaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment